Quick Navigation

Welcome to NIU Compliance Administration

How to obtain a Certificate of Insurance

In business transactions, it is a common practice to ask contracting parties to prove they have insurance. The proof of insurance is typically arranged through the delivery of a certificate of insurance issued by the broker for the specific insurance policy.

If a contracting party is requesting to be named as an additional insured under one or more of the university's insurance polices, the Director, Risk Management will have to be provided a copy of the proposed contract to determine that the university can meet the requirements of the contracting party. The contract will also be reviewed by staff attorneys in Legal Services to determine that the contract does not transfer risks to the university that are outside the scope of the university's responsibilities according to the contract and, if requested, indemnification is made in accordance with the limitations provided in Illinois statutes.

Individuals needing a Certificate of Insurance should contact the Director, Risk Management at 815.753.6540.